IRONMAN 70.3 (Half Iron) 16-Week Training for Intermediate - Advanced Levels
Our Price $119.95|
Members Only Price $59.98
Purchase this training plan and receive a
FREE Training DVD
(Triathlon Nuggets of Wisdom Vol. 1 -
Fundamental Training Tips), a $19.95 Value!
Offer good for a limited time only. All prior sales are excluded. Only good for orders made in the continental United States. Shipping via USPS and may take 3-4 weeks for delivery.
Register for this plan NOW and receive a FREE 3-Month Basic Membership to CoachTroy.com! Valued at over $30, this limited offer gives you access to articles, discounts to training products and services and MORE!
Thank you for your interest in using this and other training plans available on our website. These plans, created by Coach Troy Jacobson, have demonstrated their effectiveness over many years for athletes of all levels. Plans are delivered through the Training Peaks Coaching website platform, allowing the athlete to log and track training progress, further enhancing their ability to reach their goals. Please review the description below for more information and to get started.
This plan is for the intermediate to advanced triathlete with at least 3 years of steady training and competitive level racing under their belt. Before starting this plan, the athlete should have a well established foundation of aerobic base fitness, along with good general overall conditioning. The use of Spinervals Cycling dvds are recommended for this and all of coach Troy's plans, but is not a requirement. Done properly, this program will get the athlete to the starting line in peak form and injury free.
The workouts are given an intensity description by Zones. Advanced athletes can use heart rate, power (on the bike) or PE (perceived effort) to monitor their daily training intensities.
In general, the intensities for this plan are as follows:
- Zone 1: Recovery pace. Very low intensity active recovery 'shake the legs out'. Ideal after long/hard workout days and races. 'Noodle it'.
- Zone 2: Aerobic/Blue pace. Low to moderate intensity training. PE of 6-7.5 (Scale 1-10, 10 being 100%). Steady conversation effort. HR is at least 10-25 beats per minute below LTHR (lactate threshold heart rate).
- Zone 3: Aerobic Endurance/Gray pace. Moderate to hard training. PE of 7.5- 8.5. Harder efforts that can be sustained for long periods of time. HR 0-10 beats below LTHR.
- Zone 4: Threshold Training. Hard training at a pace sustainable for short durations. At and above 'race pace'. PE 8.5 - 9. Suffer a little. HR within 5+/- LTHR.
- Zone 5: V02max Training: Really hard training, PE 9-10. Suffer a lot. HR 10-20 bpm above LTHR.
Prior to starting this program and again mid-way through the program, it is recommended that the athlete gets a metabolic test in order to set up target training zones effectively. If that test is not available or convenient, benchmark tests such as that found in Spinervals 27.0, a 20 minute functional threshold test or for the run, a hard 3 mile effort (take avg. HR for the run) can be used to determine LTHR. (Example: If a 3 mile hard, race paced run yields an avg. HR of 150 bpm, this is your LTHR.)
Success in this and all programs is dependent on your consistency and focus on other variables including nutrition, recovery and your overall health. Try to maximize each of these for best results.
Thank you, train safe and good luck!
- Coach Troy
Register and get started with 5-Easy Steps!
- Purchase this plan.
- Once purchased, you'll be contacted by our office via e-mail within 2 business days to register for a Training Peaks account.
- Take a moment to register for your account.
- Once you're registered, your plan will be loaded to your schedule.
- Start your program, get results and achieve your goals!
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free, 1-888-288-0503.
What do you get with this training plan?
After purchase, your plan will be available in your own private online training log account. You'll enjoy these benefits and more:
- Daily e-mails with your next workout keep you on track
- Create your own routes or search our library of routes for tracking your workouts
- Map, graph and share workouts with your friends by e-mail, Facebook and view in Google Maps or Google Earth
- Upload workouts from one of more than 80 training devices (Garmin, Suunto, Timex, Polar, more) or easily record your workouts manually
- Track your fitness and gain confidence
- Complete nutrition tracking to monitor your diet
- Get support and answers on the Message Boards
Day Off - Rest
Planned Time: 0:45:00
Technique: w/up 200 free 8x50 catch up drill @ 10 sec rest (sr) 4x50 kick w/board @ 10 sr Pull 500 steady (focus on dist./stroke) 8x50 finger tip drag drill @ 10 sr 4x50 kick on back (arms over head) @ 10 sr c/down 200 easy free.
Planned Time: 0:40:00
Aerobic Base: Z2, 30-40 minutes steady aerobic run. Focus on using good form and staying within your comfort zone. Push to the upper range of Z2 on days you feel strong and keep it at the lower range on other days. Target 5 miles.
Planned Time: 2:00:00
1.5 Hr Aerobic Base Bike/Z2, rest 3 min. then Run 30 min. aerobic.
Planned Time: 1:00:00
Technique: w/up 200 free 10x75 drill (25 left arm, 25 right arm, 25 swim @ 10 sr 4x50 kick (scull w/hands in front) @10 sr 5x100 pull (focus on strokes/length) @ 15sr 6x75 drill (25 rt. Arm, 25 lft. Arm, 25 swim @ 10 sr 4x50 kick (on back -- arms extended overhead) 200 pull (Strokes per length focus) c/down 200 easy.
Planned Time: 1:30:00
1:30 Hr Aerobic Base Builder Zone 2 HR, 85-95 rpms Or Spinervals 16 or 18.
Planned Time: 0:50:00
Aerobic Base: Zone 2, 40-50 minutes steady aerobic run. Focus on using good form and staying within your comfort zone. Push to the upper range of Zone 2 on days you feel strong and keep it at the lower range on the other days. Target 5-6 miles.
Planned Time: 0:50:00
2000 Yard straight swim. Focus on good form. Negative split the workout, but don't 'race' it. Swim relaxed and under control.
Planned Time: 3:00:00
3 Hr Aerobic Endurance Builder Zone 2-3 HR, 80-90 rpms Or Spinervals 13.0.